Wondering what to get a college student for Christmas? I quizzed my three subject matter experts and did some research of my own to come up with a gift guide that’s been vetted by actual college students. Originally, I planned to break this into two posts: one for females and one for males, but I realized there was too much overlap between the two lists. Who’s to say that only a boy would like Game of Thrones Monopoly or only a girl would like a cozy scarf. Not me!
I’m sure you can find some ideas here.
Gifts To Wear
- Fitbit Alta Fitness Tracker. Help your college student avoid the Freshman 15 and get reminders to stand up and move around some during those extended study sessions with this popular fitness tracker.
- Those dorm floors can get pretty chilly in February. Help them replace those worn-out shower shoes with fur-lined hard-soled slippers. Good for the girls and the boys!
- It’s probably also time to turn in the thin cotton black summer leggings for warm, luxurious fleece leggings. And you can absolutely get these for the guys as well.
- While we’re on the topic of keeping warm, let’s not forget the joys of a cozy scarf and cute beanie. And the guys deserve a warm scarf and cute hat as well, right?
- Monogrammed necklace. Monogrammed items are super hot right now and you can show your student that you’re up on the latest trends. Maybe the guys would enjoy a set of initial cuff links.
- Chokers are hot right now, too, and you can combine two hot trends with a choker with attached initial. The guys might enjoy something a little more subdued.
- And what Christmas is complete without an ugly Christmas sweater. Why not try a sweater featuring a sloth in a Santa hat? It comes in both men’s and women’s sizing so you can make everyone happy. There are even matching pants available – perfect for family photos!
Gifts to Take Back to School
- Statement Water Bottle. This water bottle is stainless steel with a cool teak exterior and says “I’m eco-friendly, health-conscious and stylish!”
- Cozy fur throw. Remember the warm and cozy fur throw I bought for my self-care kit? I don’t have it any more. My daughter conscripted it to take to school and keep her warm while she sits around her dorm room, which can be a bit chilly. Great for wrapping around you while you’re studying!
- Giant Wall Map. After a full semester, your college student might be ready for a dorm room update. Show them the places they can go with this giant wall map.
- Wall Photo display. Of course, your student might also appreciate a touch of home. These photo clips let your student keep photos of their favorite memories in front of them all the time and the unit easily attaches with command strips.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera. Of course, if you’re displaying photos, you need some way to get those photos printed. This fun camera is small enough to easily take with you where ever you go and instantly provides fun, vintage-looking prints, just like the Polaroid cameras of long ago. You do need film, but there’s no shaking needed!
- Bluetooth Portable Record Player. Another vintage item making a strong comeback is the humble LP. This portable version looks like the fun suitcase-style record players all the cool kids used to carry around and the bluetooth capability means you can even use it as a set of speakers when you want to stream music from your phone. You can even throw in one of your favorite classic rock albums so your kids\ can know what good music really sounds like.
- G.U.S. “Zen” Ultra Charging Station and Dock with Built-in Power Strip Storage, for Laptops, Tablets, and Phones. Space is always at a premium in tiny dorm rooms. Help your student keep all their various devices neatly docked and charging in one compact space. Includes a six-outlet power strip!
- Care Package Gift Baskets. If you can’t be together, show your love with a care package of sweet and salty snacks.
- Le Creuset of America Stoneware Petite French Press. Sometimes you just need quick and easy quality caffeine for on-the-go. The french press is an easy way to keep your coffee fix going all day.
- Amazon Prime Membership. Two day free shipping. Free streaming music, movies, and tv shows. And now free, unlimited books and magazines. Amazon Prime is really a must have for every college student.
- Apple iPad Air 9.7-Inch 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet. With an iPad Air, your college student can take full advantage of that Amazon Prime membership. They can also rent or buy electronic versions of textbooks considerably cheaper than the print versions.
- Dry Erase Calendar. Keep all important dates and to-dos up front and visible at all times with this wall-mounted dry erase monthly calendar. Great for the visually oriented.
- Moleskine 2017 Weekly Notebook. Or maybe your student is the type who likes to keep their agenda with them on the go. This popular calendar is a great way to keep track of what’s going on.
Just for Fun
- The Ultimate Binge-Watching Guide. Make sure your college student is making the best use of your Netflix and HBO Go passwords with this guide.
- Game of Thrones Monopoly. After they’ve binge watched Game of Thrones, give your own little Khal or Khaleesi a chance to live out their iron throne fantasies with this version of Monopoly.
- The Unofficial Pokémon GO Tracker’s Guide. Or maybe your student’s goal is to catch-em-all. Give them a leg up with this all-encompassing guide to the hot game.
- Gilmore Girls Mug. Give the Gilmore Girl or Guy in your life a special mug for the coffee they’ll be mainlining while they watch the new season on Netflix.
- Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise D Pizza Cutter. It’s a pizza cutter! And a replica of the U.S.S. Enterprise. What more could anyone want?