This is my favorite time of year to surf the Internet. All the websites are on holiday break and are either writing “Year in Review” posts or repurposing their old content from earlier in the year as their “Best of 2016”. I love that stuff.
Spending time reviewing the past year through the eyes of the Internet is a great way to revisit this year before we move on to the next, much like going through your own photographs can help you remember the highlights of your own year. It’s also a great way to spark ideas about how you’d like your next year to look. These “Best of” posts can provide some great tips for you to try in the new year.
So, let’s spend some time today goofing off in front of the computer. But instead of mindlessly surfing the Internet, here are some posts to help you remember the past year and get the next one off to a great start.
Best of 2016
- The Year’s Best Slap-Downs. (Note: Very British. In the best possible way.)
- Top News Stories of 2016.
- The 99 best things that happened in 2016, from Ebola’s eradication in West Africa to saving the manatees. Because we all need a reminder about now, am I right?
- Best of Lifehacker 2016.
- My Sister’s Home Makeover. If you know anything at all about the amazing book, When Breath Becomes Air, or anything about how it came to be written and published, then you may sob at this home decorating project. Also, the home turns out beautifully.
- The Top 10 of Everything 2016.
- Best Memes of 2016. Number one thing I learned from this: PC Magazine is still a thing.
- Our Culture Writers Pick The Best Essays Of 2016. Some of the best long-form essay writing is happening on the Internet. Check these out and you’ll be sure to be moved, entertained, and educated.
Best of 2015
- 2015: the top news stories of the year in numbers
- The Biggest News Stories of 2015
- The Best Facts I Learned from Books in 2015.
- Lifehacker’s Most Popular How To Guides of 2015
- Apartment Therapy’s Best of 2015.
- The Kitchn’s Best Posts of 2015. Oddly organized but some gems in here.
- Top 25 SkinnyTaste Recipes of 2015. You will be pinning these like crazy.
- Popsugar’s 20 Best Recipes of 2015
- The Onion’s Best of 2015. Always fake facts, always true to the point.
- Imgur’s Best 15 Posts of 2015
- Longform’s Best of 2015. Finish with this one. These pieces are long and worth your time. If you start with this, you’ll look up six hours later and wonder where the day went. Your day will have been well-spent, but you should still be forewarned.
Now go forth and goof off! And definitely, share any great links you have in the comments.
This is part of my 31 Days of Holiday Self-Care Challenge. To see all the posts in this series, visit here.