Happy Black Friday! I personally just put $1000 on my credit card without putting on a bra or leaving my couch and I’m so proud of this accomplishment that I’m going to stay on the couch for the rest of the day and catch up on all the long articles I’ve bookmarked for later. Later is finally here!
Here’s just some of the things I’ve been bookmarking:
- I heard Malcolm Gladwell on NPR discussing his very disturbing piece in the New Yorker regarding the state of school shooters these days. Apparently, the more kids do it, the easier it is for a yet another kid to imagine that they might do it. Now it’s an epidemic.
- I already read this one, but you need to read it and then you need to get angry about it. In the Atlantic, how doctors (and all hospital workers) take women’s pain less seriously and how one woman almost died.
- Also in the Atlantic, a cheerful palette cleanser for the previous two pieces, the economic history of the leftovers. Did your Mom make casseroles out of your previous meals? Mine did. And they were often, uh, not good.
- If you’re a woman over 30 (maybe over 12), you’ve probably had a break-up with a close friend and you understand the special sadness of grieving a friendship.
- Everybody’s talking about your microbiome these days. There’s starting to be some evidence that our diet might be bad enough to kill off the good bacteria in our system forever.
- How smart people fall for scams. I totally can see myself freaking out and falling for this.
- And because everything can’t be serious, I present to you my first sighting of a “Best of 2015” post: The Funniest Animated Gifs of 2015
Proof that anything can be set to Uptown Funk
Get the Newsletter!
Sign up now and you'll get Midlife Rambler delivered right to your inbox!