These podcasts for women over 40 are made for and by midlife women. They will make you think, make you laugh, make you cry and give you a bit of inspiration during this phase of life. If you’re a woman over 40 or 50, you’ll love these podcasts designed just for you.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
This is an updated and rewritten version of a post I wrote in 2015. When I wrote this post in 2015, I couldn’t even find any podcasts created by women in midlife so I suggested several podcasts that I felt women our age could relate to or that anyone who is thinking about what’s next for them would enjoy.
Well, cut to 2019! Women over 40 are podcasting and talking about the issues that speak directly to our lives. I’ve been enjoying listening to these podcasts from women my age as they speak directly to the issues I’m interested in: surviving menopause, parenting almost grown children, starting new and exciting businesses, and taking out rightful place in society.
** THE PODCASTS KEEP ON COMING – THIS POST WAS JUST UPDATED ON SEPT 17 2020 WITH EVEN MORE PODCASTS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT!
I hope you’ll enjoy this list and find some new favorites. Let me know in the comments if there’s a podcast I need to check out!
1. Feisty Side of Fifty
Eileen Williams’s podcast discusses a wide range of topics of interest to women over 50 such as holistic health, dealing with grief, and relationships over 50 in these short interviews with renowned experts.
2. Fit n’ Chips Chats
In this health and wellness podcast for women over 40, Amanda Thebe talks each week with experts on health and wellness topics of interest to pre- and post-menopausal women. Lots of good info in these episodes on staying fit and healthy as we age.
3. Forever Fierce with Catherine Grace O’Donnell
This weekly talk show, designed for women over 40 and 50, brings together a diverse set of guests to discuss ways to remain (and become) fiercely empowered during midlife.
On her podcast, Valerie Albarda talks with other women over 40 and 50 about issues that affect us such as overcoming the stigma of menopause and re-entering the job market as well as sharing her own inspiring thoughts about living your best life in midlife.
5. Midlife Mixtape
If you’re in the years between being hip and breaking one, you’ll love this sweet podcast. Nancy Davis Kho talks about life and the music we loved with fellow Gen-Xers.
6. Midlife Shmidlife
Liz Applegate and her guests look to the future in this inspiring podcast filled with the personal stories and lessons learned from women over 40 and 50 finding their way in midlife.
7. Reinventing Midlife with Jenn, Tara & Lana
Three Gen-X women talk on this podcast about their lives over 40 and their take on the world around them.
8. The Experience 50 Podcast
On this podcast, Mary Rogers is here to help women over 50 navigate this time of life, which is often the most unscripted time of our lives. She and her guests talk about a variety of topics to help you find your best path.
9. This Unmillenial Life
If you wonder if you’ll ever sleep again, struggle with adult acne and wrinkles at the same time, and want to know all about the latest ways to lose weight, stay healthy, and live longer, then you’ll love this fun and information-packed podcast. Host Regan Jones is the new BFF for all women over 40.
10. Women in the Middle
In this podcast, life Coach Suzy Rosenstein and her guests share tips on loving your life over 50 and living a joyful life free of regrets.
11. Ladies Roadmap to Living Ageless
JoJami and Lana interview guests and share stories in order to empower and inform midlife women about how to improve their lives and live a healthier, more vibrant life.
12. Fearlessly Facing Fifty
Amy Schmidt helps take the fear out of turning fifty by bringing guests on to share their stories and knowledge so women can learn that midlife can be an opportunity rather than a crisis.
13. A Certain Age
A Certain Age is new but seems like it will be a fun addition to this list. Host Katie Fogarty brings on a variety of women to talk about career, beauty, family, books, money, wellness, fashion, and fun.
14. Midlife Matters
Julie, Marie and Mindy discuss issues that affect midlife women such parenting teens and aging well.
15. Forties Stories
I really like the premise of this unique podcast which is just what its name suggests. Each episode host Christy Maguire invites a woman on the show for a deep dive into what she’s learned or experienced in her forties.
My Original Suggestions
So what podcasts did I suggest originally? Sadly, a few are no longer updating but I still enjoy listening to these shows when I get a chance. You might like them as well.
- The Tim Ferris Show. Irreverent, Informative, and Entertaining. I always learn something or am challenged by something and frequently it’s both.
- The Untrapped Life. This podcast is no longer being updated but the older episodes are all about following your dreams and making them come true. You might want to download all the episodes and listen from the beginning.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin. Gretchen just recently started a podcast with her sister that I’m enjoying very much. Each episode covers ways we can bring a bit more happiness into our lives.
- Side Hustle School and The Side Hustle Show. These two podcasts have such similar names that I’ve just got to combine them into one entry. They’re similar in content but while the Side Hustle School tells the stories of people who have managed to turn a second job or hobby into a full-time career, the Side Hustle Show interviews folks who are making money with full- or part-time gigs and focuses on providing actionable advice for people who want to follow along.
- The Lively Show. Jess Lively used to focus on offering a series of interesting conversations with thought leaders about relationships, success, and wellness. But she recently became the ultimate reinventor. She’s currently traveling around the world and focusing on following her intuition.
- How Did You Get into That? Another podcast that’s no longer being updated that has a great back catalog of episodes. Each episode features an interview with a successful entrepreneur who discusses how they got to where they are now. Find an industry that looks interesting and download the episode to find out more.
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert. How would you like the author of the ultimate reinvention book, Eat, Pray, Love, help you with your next step? Well, if you can’t get that, you can get the next best thing with this podcast where Elizabeth advises women looking to make their next step and interviews experts such as Martha Beck on how to over obstacles along the way.
- Smart Passive Income Podcast. I have found tons of genuinely interesting and useful information from Pat Flynn’s podcasts and I’ve come to feel I’m doing myself a disservice by not paying closer attention to the information he’s providing. I’ll be listening to this more in the future when I’m not on the road and can take good notes.
- Life on Purpose. Tips and interviews about living your life with more intention. Great to listen to if you feel like you’ve been reacting to much rather than acting.
- Relaunch. Inspiring interviews with people who pivoted from one career to another.
So what’s a podcast? How do I listen to one? What have you been talking about?
All good questions.
A podcast is basically a radio program you can download to your phone or mp3 player so you can listen to it any time you want. You can also subscribe to a podcast so that new episodes are automatically downloaded for you.
If you have an iPhone and want to download any of podcasts I mentioned in the article, the simplest way to do it is to open the Podcasts app on your phone and search for the podcast you want. When you find, tap the podcast and then select subscribe. You can also download earlier episodes at the time as well.
The BBC has a handy guide to podcasts. If you have further questions or podcasts of your own to recommend, please let me know in the comments!
Pin it Now on Your Favorite Pinterest Board
Get the Newsletter!
Sign up for Midlife Rambler's weekly e-mail and receive exclusive content not available on the website. Plus, you'll get access to the Midlife Rambler Resource Library with tons of e-books and more to help you live your best life!